Club History

Greystanes Churches Football Club was formed in 1974 by a combination of 3 churches. These churches include:

- Greystanes Methodist (Now Uniting)

- St Matthews (Anglican) Merrylands West

- St Stephens (Presbyterian) Merrylands.

The club began life with a single All age mens team and an Under 8's team.

1976 saw the club win it's first piece of silverware by taking out the Under 7's competition. The team would go on to win the 1977, 1978 and 1979 competitions.

The clubs first All Age Mens title came in 1978 when the 4th division Raahauge Cup reserves took out the grand final. The team would repeat the task in 1979 by winning the 2nd division Raahauge Cup Reserves competition.

Recent years have seen the club become a powerhouse both within Australia and Abroad. In 2010 the Raahauge Cup 1st Division First Grade squad won both the minor premiership and the grand final by defeating ST Patricks Strathfield on a windy afternoon in front of close to 400 people at Walshaw Park. The club also made it through to the state cup final which ended in a 3-0 defeat to local rivals Wentworthville Uniting. September 2010 saw the first grade squad travel to New Zealand to compete in a 2 game Trans Tasman cup series with our Christian footballing neighbours. The boys battled the elements of rain and cold to bring home the series 2-0 and do Christian football in Australia proud. A solid 5-2 win against the NZCFA Representative Side and a 2-1 win against the NZCFA Premier League champions City FC meant a succesful trip for not only the club but also Christian football in Australia. With all the success of the 2010 season the club was promoted to the NSWCFA Premier League competition for 2011.

2011 saw a new era begin for the club, for the first time in our history we had been promoted to the Premier League. The task of playing against experienced Premier League squads such as Macarthur Wasps and Wentworthville Uniting was one the squad took in their stride. The 2011 season saw the Premier League Reserve squad thrive, the boys finished in second and were ultimately defeated 2-0 in the Grand Final by ST Patricks Strathfield. First Grade finished in 4th position, an underachieving result for a team with so much potential. First Grade were eliminated in the elimination semi final against local rivals Wentworthville Uniting, the game is often remembered as one of the best the NSWCFA competition has seen finishing 4-3 After Extra Time. The squad took out both the State Cup and the A Grade Knockout cup competitions. A 3-0 win over Chester Hill FC in the A Grade Knockout cup was followed up with a 1-0 win over the same opponent in the State Cup.

September 2011 saw the squad once again travel to New Zealand to defend their Trans Tasman Churches title.

The 2011 series was played over 3 games. The squad faced 2 NZCFA Representative sides and the NZCFA Premier League Champions. The first match saw the NZCFA Rep side defeat our boys 3-2 on a cold and wet night in Auckland. The boys responded by taking out the second match 4-2 against the second NSWCFA Rep side. It all came down to our meeting with the NZCFA Premier League Champions, the boys lifted and took the match out 2-1 thus helping us to retain our Trans Tasman Churches Championship trophy. 2011 also saw 5 players from the club selected in the 2011 NSW City National titles winning side, these players included:

- Goalkeeper- Danny Bouzas

- Defender- David Mann

- Midfielder- Jon Terry

- Attacker- Andy Rundle

- Attacker- Joel Salmon

Head Coach Larry Rundle was also invited on board by NSW CIty to coach the side. The boys went on to defeat Western Australia 4-2 in the decider at Totara Springs, New Zealand.

2012 saw the squad returning to Premier League hoping to go one better the 2011. First Grade took out the Minor Premiership by 2 points over a well drilled Macarthur Wasps. The two sides would have 4 epic battles throughout the year all finishing with a goal margin of a single goal. The grand final was eventually taken out by Macarthur 2-1 in a pulsating match. Reserve Grade finished second behind Chester Hill and were eliminated in the preliminary final by a red hot ST Columbas Castle Hill. Reserve Grade impressed tremendously during the year going on an 12 game unbeaten run at one stage. The squad also once again competed in both cup competitions. The club was defeated in both Grand Finals losing 6-5 on penalites in the State Cup to Premier League new boys the Kings School and then being defeated 2-1 after extra time in the A Grade Knockout Cup by Chester Hill FC. 2012 also saw 4 players from the club compete at national titles level. Once again NSW City took out the title by defeating QLD City in Tingppala, Brisbane. The Boys in the Squad included:

- Goalkeeper- Danny Bouzas

- Defender- David Man

- Attacker- Andy Runde

- Attacker- Joel Salmon

The club has also taken out the 2010, 2011 and 2012 NSWCFA Six a Side Summer Competition. The teams were:

2010- Greystanes Raiders
2011- Greystanes Fish

2012- Greystanes Wolves.

1984 saw the club at its largest with a staggering 31 teams competing and doing the club proud.

We look forward to adding to our history page after a succesful 2013.

History By John Oliver and Danny Bouzas